Friday, August 12, 2011

Things to read

Digby brings us a very effective illustration of the shift rightward and the moving of the political goalposts in this country over the last two decades. Link.

The Good Old Days

by digby

Who said this?

I'm sure you've been watching this mess in Washington.

I'd like you to know how I feel about it.

I haven't voted for one of these lousy budget packages for years and I won't vote for this one.

It would raise taxes on the wrong people.

Unlike some folks around here I think everyone should pay their fair share. Including the rich.

We need to protect our seniors from Medicare cuts too.

I don't care if the President or Congressional leaders twist my arm. I won't support any deal that isn't a fair deal for the working families.


That was Mitch McConnell 20 years ago. That's right, boys and girls, that used to be the way Republicans talked in this country. The reason there used to be bipartisanship is because they used to agree with Democrats on some of those basic values and they don't anymore. In fact, a lot of Democrats don't believe it anymore.

There really isn't a better illustration of just how far the Republican Party has moved to the right in the last 20 years. I've watched it happen, and it's still startling. People who would reject such commonplace political bromides as "everyone should pay their fair share" can't be said to be in the mainstream. And yet they are dominating American politics.


She's right. I wonder if this shift rightward is do to anything so much as right wing hate radio and Fox news...

No comments:

Post a Comment